“12 Ways to Publicize, Promote, Market, and Sell Your Book” by Joan Y. Edwards
- Swap interviews with an author of the same kind of book. She/he interviews you on her blog; you interview him/her on your blog.
- Begin a blogging book blitz or blog tour on launch day.
- Have a Facebook launch party or a Twitter launch party with contests and prizes.
- Spread the word with Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
- Create a book trailer for your book on YouTube.com
- Ask and encourage people to do book reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Goodreads.
- Suggest your book to your local library. Ask your friends to suggest your book to their local library. Most libraries have an online form to use. Take a copy of the book and speak to a librarian in person.
- Send a newsletter email with a contest to family and friends online.
- Send out post cards to family and friends or community
- Contact local bookstores to set up a book signing event. Some Barnes and Noble stores have panels of authors to join for a book signing event. If your book is not available to buy and return through Baker and Taylor or Ingram, book stores may order them there. If not, they may take five copies on consignment for a year. Usually, they want 40% discount. You pay for shipping there and return shipping.
- Contact retail stores to see if they’ll sell your book on consignment. For instance, a golf shop might sell books about golf. Usually, they may want a 40% discount. You pay for shipping there and return shipping. Get it in writing.
- Contact local organizations, associations, clubs to be a speaker. Those who attend may wish to purchase your book. Here are ideas for groups to contact: writers groups, Rotary Club, local women’s club, Elk’s Lodge, Moose Lodge, Civitan International Club, Kiwanis International Club, high school or college alumni associations, Elementary School PTAs.
- Bookmarket.com. Reputable Mailing Lists. http://www.bookmarket.com/lists.htm
- Brandon Cornett. “54 Tips for Postcard Marketing Success:”
- Daniel Kehrer. “10 Tips for Postcard Marketing Success:” http://www.bizbest.com/10-tips-for-postcard-marketing-success/
- Debbie Ridpath Ohi. “Want to support an author’s or illustrator’s new book but can’t afford to buy it?” http://inkygirl.com/inkygirl-main/2015/6/19/want-to-support-an-authors-or-illustrators-new-book-but-cant.html
- D. Jean Quarles. “5 Tips to Writing Your Author Bio:” http://www.writersonthemove.com/2014/09/5-tips-to-writing-your-authors-bio.html
- Erin Bowman. Publishing Crawl. “How to Support an Author Beyond Buying Their Book:” http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2015/04/20/how-to-support-an-author-after-buying-their-book/
- Erin Entrada Kelly, Book Publicist. “YOU DID NANO. NOW WHAT?” http://www.smithpublicity.com/2015/12/you-did-nano-now-what/
- Greg Scowen. “A Few Indie Book Reviewers:” http://www.gregscowen.com/a-few-indie-book-reviewers/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 1: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book):” http://writersrumpus.com/2014/01/03/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-one/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 2: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book):” http://writersrumpus.com/2014/02/07/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-two/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 3: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book): http://writersrumpus.com/2014/03/07/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-three/
- Joan Y. Edwards. “New Book? Spread the Word with a Book Blitz:” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/new-book-spread-the-word-with-a-book-blitz/
- Joanna Penn. “How to Create a Book Trailer:” http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2011/01/07/how-to-create-a-book-trailer/
- Josh Funk. “How Can You Help an Author?” https://papajfunk.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/how-can-you-help-an-author-im-so-glad-you-asked/
- Josh Funk. “How to Buy a Picture Book without Buying a Picture Book:” https://papajfunk.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/how-to-buy-a-picture-book-without-buying-a-picture-book/
- Kate Tilton. “Bloggers Resources (contains blogger reviewers):” http://katetilton.com/bloggers/
- Lori Taylor. “10 Tips for a TweetWorthy Twitter Party:” http://lorirtaylor.com/top-10-tips-for-a-tweetworthy-twitter-party/
- National Pen Company. Personalized, colorful, distinctive, smooth writing promotional pens, stylus, magnets. http://www.pens.com
- Melinda Brasher. “Strategies to Get Book Reviews:” http://www.writersonthemove.com/2014/04/strategies-to-get-book-reviews.html
- Rachel Abbott. “Reviews: The Good, the Bad, and the Scams:” http://rachelabbottwriter.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/reviews-the-good-the-bad-and-the-scams/#
- Richard Ridley. CreateSpace blogger. “Social Media Swap:” https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/community/resources/blog/2015/02/02/social-media-swap
- Sandra Warren. “Book Trailers Made Easy:” http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com/2016/01/book-trailers-made-easy.html
- Sandra Warren. “Tag Team Marketing – Authors Helping Authors (contains additional marketing information related to book stores, retail stores, and organizations):” http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com/2016/03/tag-team-marketing-author-helping.html
- Smith Publicity. “How to Hold a Social Media Contest:” http://www.smithpublicity.com/2015/12/how-to-hold-a-social-media-contest/
- Valerie Peterson. “Book Signings and Book Tours – A Reality Check for Authors:” http://publishing.about.com/od/BookPublicity/fl/Book-Signings-and-Book-Tours-A-Reality-Check-for-Authors.htm
- Valerie Peterson. “Part 1 – Getting Your Book into the Bookstore:” http://publishing.about.com/od/BookAuthorBasics/a/How-To-Make-Booksellers-Love-You.htm
- Valerie Peterson. “Part 2- Make Booksellers Love You:” http://publishing.about.com/od/BookAuthorBasics/a/Make-Booksellers-Love-You-P2.htm
- Valerie Peterson. “Part 3- Getting Your Book Into a Local Bookstore:” http://publishing.about.com/od/BookAuthorBasics/fl/Getting-Your-Book-Into-a-Local-Bookstore.htm
- Vistaprint.com. Business cards, post cards, posters, car signs, etc. http://www.vistaprint.com
- Zairmail.com. Direct Mailing lists, post card templates. http://www.zairmail.com/
Thank you for reading my blog. I appreciate you very much. Keep on writing. Keep on illustrating. Keep on doing what you love.
Click HERE to leave a comment!
Never Give Up
Live with Enthusiasm
Celebrate Each Step You Take
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2016 Joan Y. Edwards
Join over 346 Valued Subscribers! You’ll be glad you did.
When you subscribe, you receive entertaining, encouraging posts PLUS 3 free gifts:
1. Never Give Up image
2. 20 Affirmations for Writers
3. Ten Time Savers for Writers and Illustrators
Filed under: book blitz, Marketing, Writing | Tagged: Authors Helping Authors, bask for ook reviews, Greg Scowen, How to do a Book Launch on Facebook, how to do a Facebook Event, How to have fun and market your book, how to market your book, how to market your children's book, how to market your non-fiction book, how to market your novel, how to promote your book, how to publicize your book, how to sell your book, Kate Tilton, Rachel Abbott, Sandra Warren, Tag Team Marketing, too | 16 Comments »