“March into Publication” by Joan Y. Edwards
Hurray for you! You have a finished manuscript!
Now, you can get ready to submit your manuscript to a publisher or an agent. Here are seven steps I recommend you go through before you submit your manuscript.
Seven Steps Before You Submit Your Manuscript
- Write a pitch/logline/summary for your manuscript.
- Get your manuscript critiqued by a critique partner or a critique group, chapter by chapter. If you have the funds, pay a professional editor. Ask for titles of books he has edited in your manuscript’s genre. Make sure you like what he’s done with other books in your genre. Remember that someone who does an outstanding job of editing picture books might not do as well with romance novels.
- When you feel that your manuscript is the best you can do at this particular time with the knowledge and skills you have, submit it to a publisher or agent who accepts unsolicited manuscripts.
- Find a publisher or agent who accepts unsolicited manuscripts. Read their guidelines.
- Write a query or cover letter. If your manuscript is non-fiction, write a proposal, too.
- Follow the submission guidelines for the chosen publisher or agent.
a. Write a query letter (no manuscript included)
b. Write a cover letter to accompany your manuscript
c. Write a proposal if it’s a nonfiction book.
7. Submit according to the guidelines of the chosen publisher or agent
a. Snail Mail – U.S. Postal Service
c. Submission form on website
Good luck! Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you!
Never Give Up
Thank you to everyone who has bought a copy of one of my books. I appreciate your confidence and support. May many good things happen to you because of your kindness to me.
Flip Flap Floodle, Will this little duck’s song save him from Mr. Fox?
Joan’s Elder Care Guide A guide to help caregivers and elders never give up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2018 Joan Y. Edwards
Please subscribe now to join over 442 Valued Subscribers and receive entertaining, encouraging posts PLUS 3 free gifts:
- Never Give Up image
- 20 Affirmations for Writers
- Ten Time Savers for Writers and Illustrators