This is the 8th post in the Why Not Series.
“Why Not? Day 8 Write a List of Good Publishers. Go Ahead” by Joan Y. Edwards
- You’ve written sentences.
- You’ve written paragraphs.
- You’ve written an article, poem, short story, manuscript, screenplay.
- You’ve written a title.
- You’ve written a pitch.
- You’ve revised your writing at least three times.
- You’ve had your work critiqued by a critique group, a writing partner, and/or a professional editor. You’ve decided which suggestions you’ll honor and revised your manuscript again. You’ve proofread it and had others to proofread it, too.
Now you’re ready to decide where to send your manuscript…a publisher, agent, or contest? A TOUGH decision. If you’ve decided to self-publish your book, make a list of publishers who specialize in helping people self-publish and their fees. This post is not about self-publishing.
Do your homework. Investigate the publisher, agent, or contest. What are their best sellers? Do they publish your genre? What will be your royalty? Are there any required fees? Do they accept returns? This is a necessity for your book to be accepted widely in book stores. Otherwise, you’ll have to approach bookstores yourself and see if they will sell your books on consignment. If there are fees, they are not traditional publishers. Stay away from them. Go to others.
Decide your criteria. What do you expect from a publisher? For most of The Big Momma Publishers, you must have an agent. If that’s your wish, obtain an agent.
Check the publishers or agents of three of your favorite books in your genre. Read their submission guidelines. Do they accept unsolicited manuscripts?
Study and find more editors, agents, or contests that are good matches for your manuscript.
After collecting your information, choose three of the most promising ones for submission. Re-read the submission guidelines for each one. Write three reasons why each publisher or agent on your list would be a great choice. Save this information for your query or cover letter. It will come in handy.
If you’re reading information from a guidebook or an online source, DOUBLE-CHECK the latest submission guidelines on the website of the publisher, agent, or contest. Save yourself heartache. Check them again right before you submit your manuscript.
The next in this blog series will be about writing your query or cover letter to go with your manuscript.
- Jeff Herman’s Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents 2017: Who They Are! What They Want! How to Win Them Over! by Jeff Herman: https://www.amazon.com/Hermans-Publishers-Editors-Literary-Agents-ebook/dp/B01LA268C0/
- Joan Y. Edwards. “22 Literary Agents Who Are Looking for You:” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/22-literary-agents-who-are-looking-for-you/
- Joan Y. Edwards. “40 Publishers Who Accept Unsolicited Manuscripts:” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/40-publishers-who-accept-unsolicited-manuscripts/
- Joan Y. Edwards. “Questions to Ask Before You Sign with a Publisher:”
- Joan Y. Edwards. “Take These Steps Before You Sign with an Agent:”
- Poets & Writers-Creative Writing Contests & Competitions http://www.pw.org/content/writing_contests_0?cmnt_all=1
- Sally Stuart. Sally Stuart’s Christian Writers’ Market Guide http://stuartmarket.blogspot.com/
- Writer’s Digest Books. Children’s Writer’s And Illustrator’s Market 2017, Writer’s Digest Books. https://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Writers-Illustrators-Market-2017/dp/1440347778/
- Writer’s Digest Books. Writer’s Market by Writer’s Digest Books 2017
- Writing Contests: http://writersviews.com/writing-contests.php
Earlier blog posts in the Why Not? series:
- “Why Not? Day 1 Write. Go ahead:” http://wp.me/pFnvK-3t0
- “Why Not? Day 2 Write a Sentence. Go ahead:” http://wp.me/pFnvK-3u1
- “Why Not? Day 3 Write a Paragraph. Go Ahead:”
- “Why Not? Day 4 Write a Snappy Title. Go Ahead:” http://wp.me/pFnvK-3wG
- “Why Not? Day 5 Write a Pitch. Go Ahead:”
- “Why Not? Day 6 Revise Your Story. Go Ahead:” http://wp.me/pFnvK-3xl
- “Why Not? Day 7 Get Your Writing Critiqued. Go Ahead:” http://wp.me/pFnvK-3xj
Thanks for reading my blog. I’d love to hear from you. To comment, click below and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Never Give Up
Live with Enthusiasm
Celebrate Each Step You Take
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2017 Joan Y. Edwards
Join over 383 Valued Subscribers and receive entertaining, encouraging posts PLUS 3 free gifts:
- Never Give Up image
- 20 Affirmations for Writers
- Ten Time Savers for Writers and Illustrators
Filed under: Health, Marketing, Pub Sub, Writing | Tagged: agents, before you submit your manuscript, finding the right agent, finding the right publisher, publishers, read the guidelines, submission guidelines |