“Understanding: Which characters have it? Which Don’t?” by Joan Y. Edwards
This is the Part 2 in a series of blogs about the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Understanding is a gift of the Holy Spirit.
Understanding is a process of the mind by which a person gets it, grasps and comprehends what is difficult to perceive. Synonyms are: compassionate, sensitive, considerate, forgiving, patient, realization, recognition, notice, observant.
The opposite of understanding is indifference, misunderstanding, confusion, disagreement, disbelief, stupidity, misjudge, overlook.
Characters with understanding:
- Melanie in Gone with the Wind
- The Father in the Prodigal Son story in the Bible.
- Andrew Paxton in The Proposal
- Isabel Kelly in Stepmom http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/stepmom/have-us-both
- Ted Kramer in Kramer vs Kramer http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/kramer-vs-kramer/why-mommy-left
- Will in Big Fish http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/big-fish/lacking-in-social-niceties
- Bruce Nolan in Bruce Almighty http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/bruce-almighty
Characters without understanding:
- Melvin Udall in As Good As It Get
- Margaret Tate in The Proposal
- Stepmother is Cinderella
- Wolf in The Three Little Pigs
- Sonny Koufax in Big Daddy http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/big-daddy/homeless-guy
- Zee in Surf’s Up http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/surfs-up/making-the-board?play=1
- Jason Bourne in The Bourne Identity http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/the-bourne-identity/i-dont-even-have-a-name
*****Wingclips is a great site. When you click on the word search, you get a place where you can fill in themes. http://www.wingclips.com/search?q=&x=13&y=8. You can put in an adjective for a theme. They pull up scenes that depict that. Pretty awesome.
I believe that all of us are understanding at times and are confused and without understanding at other times. Once you recognize the character trait of understanding in yourself and others, you’ll be able to personify understanding and misunderstanding or confusion in your own stories.
Which characters do you believe have understanding?
Which characters do you see as confused?
The trick is not to describe them with adjectives in your writing, but to signify the adjective by your character’s actions.
Please leave a comment. Click below and scroll down to the very bottom.
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Part 1 “Wisdom: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/wisdom-which-characters-have-it-which-dont/
- This is Part 2 “Understanding: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/understanding-which-characters-have-it-which-dont/
- Part 3 “Counsel: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/counsel-which-characters-have-it-which-dont/
- Part 4 “Fortitude: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/fortitude-which-characters-have-it-which-dont/
- Part 5 “Knowledge: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?”
- Part 6 “Piety: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t?” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/26/piety-which-characters-have-it-which-dont/
- Part 7 “Fear of the Lord: Which Characters Have It? Which Don’t? “https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/fear-of-the-lord-which-characters-have-it-which…
Never Give Up
Live with Enthusiasm
Celebrate Each Step You Take
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2016 Joan Y. Edwards
Join over 360 Valued Subscribers and receive entertaining, encouraging posts PLUS 3 free gifts:
1. Never Give Up image
2. 20 Affirmations for Writers
3. Ten Time Savers for Writers and Illustrators
Filed under: Character, Spiritual, Writing | Tagged: book characters, character traits, compassionate, Confusion, Gifts of the Holy Spirit, misunderstand, misunderstanding, movie characters, tv characters, Understanding., wingclips |