“Do You Have the Latest and Greatest B.S. Meter?” by Joan Y. Edwards
One day a friend said this to me, ” I met a man who said he was a movie producer. My B.S. Meter didn’t go off. So I think he’s legit.”
I laughed and laughed. I had never heard of a B.S. Meter. It sounded like a great gadget to have. That got me thinking. I searched online and discovered that B.S. Meters have been written about on the internet for many years.
After I pondered this device more, here’s what I think about B.S. Meters.
You were born with a natural, 100% biodegradable B.S. Meter. It’s your gut instinct. I admit that sometimes you can be intimidated, conned, and charmed into believing a number of untruths. However, when you believe that your B.S. Meter will ring a loud alarm when someone’s trying to pull the wool over your eyes, you’ll do much better.
You have to be trained to realize when someone is pulling your leg. When I was a child, I asked my grandfather, PaPa Bruffey, “How do those cows stand on the hillside? He said, “That’s easy. Their top legs are shorter than their bottom legs.”
That was what I call a slow smiling situation. It took me years to figure out that PaPa Bruffey was teasing me and making a joke. That’s when I smiled and smiled.
Experience plays a significant role in the use of your B.S. Meter. Believe in you and your ability to make good decisions. Study conversations. People who’ve been conned out of their money by charming B.S. flaunters don’t take time to study what they are hearing. Beware of how others want you to use your money.
Here are three times you need a B.S. Meter:
- When a contractor tells you it’ll only take $1,000.00 to build a screened in porch with a roof.
- When a salesman says, “It has a lifetime guarantee.”
- When a skydiver says: “It’s so easy, anyone can do it.
Here are five times when a B.S. Meter comes in handy for writers and illustrators:
- When you receive a critique that says, “There’s no way you can improve your manuscript/illustrations. It’s perfect.”
- When you receive a contract with legal lingo you can’t understand
- When you receive a request for a manuscript that says, “We guarantee you publication of your book in 24 hours!”
- When you go to a conference and hear a speaker say, “It’s easy to get published by a traditional publisher.”
- When someone says, “It’s so easy to write a children’s book, anyone can do it in 24 hours or less.”
If your B.S. Meter needs to be updated, I suggest you choose an image from the resources below or draw one to help you out. If you have drawings of your perfect B.S. Meter, please email it to me at email@example.com or share it with me on Facebook Joan Y. Edwards or Twitter @joanyedwards. Prayer helps your B.S.Meter become fully compliant with the high standards you want out of life.
- “Images of BS Meters:” http://photobucket.com/images/bullshit%20meter
- “Bla Bla Meter :” http://www.blablameter.com/index.php
- Urban Dictionary. “BS Meter:” http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bs%20Meter
- Dana Theus. “Three Ways the Millennial Generation Can Be Your Company’s BS Meter:” http://switchandshift.com/3-ways-the-millennial-generation-can-be-your-companys-bs-meter
Please share your lines of times when you’re grateful you have a good B.S. Meter by clicking the comment link below and scrolling to the bottom of the page.
Believe in you.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2016 Joan Y. Edwards
Join over 357 Valued Subscribers and receive entertaining, encouraging posts PLUS 3 free gifts:
1. Never Give Up image
2. 20 Affirmations for Writers
3. Ten Time Savers for Writers and Illustrators