“Watch How People Talk” by Joan Y. Edwards
First blog post in a my “Watch” Series
Have you ever noticed how people talk? Do the heads move when the mouth moves? Do the eyes up or down when they are talking? Are the hands still, or moving rapidly as the words come out?
One person may talk out of the right side of his mouth. Another may talk out of the left side of his mouth. A bell ringer may bellow like you can’t hear them unless they do. A little old lady might whisper so low you can’t hear her in a noisy crowded room.
I watched a western movie today and the star of the show barely opened his mouth to speak. It was as though the director told him, “Do not open your mouth to talk. There are a gazillion flies around here and one may go in. Don’t open your mouth to talk.”
I found a video showing two guys trying to talk with their mouths shut: lapajoe – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-QR3qdqV8
Is he a ventriloquist and talk and make it sound like the voice is coming from somewhere else?
Nina Conti, Ventriloquist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mF81Ns4cp4
Give your characters a special way to talk, it might make it easier for a reader to visualize a picture of them.
Does he lisp?
Does she stutter?
Look at yourself in the mirror and write 3 sentences to describe what your mouth does when you talk. How does talking influence your eyes? What about your hands?
Here are videos of other people talking: Watch their mouths, their eyes, and their hands. Make notes for the characters in the story you’re writing. Enjoy:
- Barry Schwartz, psychologist: http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_our_loss_of_wisdom.html
- Joyce Meyer, Christian author and speaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qh_7GGF5qs
- Bob Proctor, Motivational speaker, psychologist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRLvxbuJtW8
- Jim Cramer, author: http://www.us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/multimedia/index.html#vmix_media_id=168951411
- Helena Bonham Carter, actress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkvDRPEKaY
- Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker: http://www.independent.ie/videos/entertainment/forest-whitaker-and-oprah-winfrey-talk-on-screen-chemistry-29756625.html
Here is a link to the second blog post in my Watch series: “Watch the Hands of People When They Talk:” https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/watch-the-hands-of-people-when-they-talk/
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2013 Joan Y. Edwards
Our subscriber numbers are climbing. Please join the others.
Sign up for an email subscription from the left-hand column for a free Never Give Up logo image. When I reach 200 subscribers, I’ll give a free MP3 recording of positive affirmation statements to all who subscribe to my blog.
Filed under: Writing | Tagged: Barry Schwartz, Bob Proctor, characterization, Forest Whitaker, Helena Bonham Carter, Jim Cramer, Joan's "Watch" Series, Joyce Meyer, movement of eyes, movement of hands, movement of head, movement of lips, movement of mouth, Nina Conti, Oprah Winfrey, watch how people talk |