“Steps for Week 3: Reread, Correct Errors, Print Pertinent Papers, and Send on the third Friday of the month.” (PubSub3rdFri) by Joan Y. Edwards
Here are the steps for the third week of the month.
1. Reread a hard copy of your manuscript. Make all necessary changes.
2. Print out your manuscript again. Read it aloud.
3. If you see any errors, correct them.
4. Print out the pertinent papers you need to GO FOR IT: query letter, manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal.
5. Put one copy of manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal in 9×12 envelope
6. Print out and save another copy of manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal in a folder called “Submitted Manuscripts.”
7. Make sure you put your snail mail address, phone number, email address, website, and blog on your cover letter, proposal, query, and/or manuscript. If email submission, follow their guidelines about attachments. Some publishers do not accept attachments. Follow their guidelines.
8. Print out label for 9×12 inch envelope – use the mailing address in publisher’s guidelines. If it is an exclusive submission, mark it as such on the outside of the envelope. Also put that fact in your cover letter. “This is an exclusive submission for three months. On November 20, 2010 I am submitting it to other publishers.”
9. Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope, if the guidelines ask for one.
10. Put sufficient postage on the envelope.
11. If guidelines ask for a self-addressed stamped envelope, fix one and enclose it.
12. Leave the envelope with all the items inside over night.
Pub Sub 3rd Friday
13. Check your manuscript, cover letter, proposal, and resume Friday morning.
14. Put addressed, stamped envelope with your PUB SUB in a mailbox or email. Say a prayer. Ask God to bless this submission. Say to yourself: I allow myself to receive a positive response, such as, “Yes, I’d like to publish this manuscript.”
Each time you submit, you will be getting better and better. In case you’re not ready on the third Friday, I created a raincheck with an encouraging letter filled with quotes to help you get your submission in the mail before a month elapses. You can also print just the Raincheck without the letter. Go to my website to copy a certificate, badge, or raincheck: http://www.joanyedwards.com/pubsub3rdfri.htm
I hope these notes for Week Three helped you.
Become a Pub Subber.
You’re a Pub Subber when you submit one or more of your quality works on the third Friday of the month (or any other day of the month) to critique groups, editors, agents, or contests. You believe that submitting work often leads to publication.
If you’d like your name listed on the Pub Subbers page, leave a comment or send an email to the email address listed in the left-hand column with your name, the title of your manuscript and where you sent it. Include your webpage or blog, if you like.
Surround yourself with other Pub Subbers. Great minds wander in the same plane.
I invite you to join the Pub Subbers Yahoo group to post successes, receive encouragement when you receive a no, ask for advice or help, etc. The group has automated reminders for the weekly steps to get your work ready for submission. Join by sending an email to email@example.com.
See my other Pub Sub 3rd Fri posts for more reasons to submit your work often: https://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/?s=pubsub3rdfri.
Thank you for reading my blog. Leave a comment, please. I love reading your stories and opinions.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2011-2012 Joan Y. Edwards