Steps for Week 3: Pub Sub 3rd Fri. Pub Sub Day is the third Friday of the month.
1. Reread a hard copy of your manuscript. Make all necessary changes.
2. Print out your manuscript again. Read it aloud.
3. If you see any errors, correct them.
4. Print out the GO FOR IT copy of manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal.
5. Put one copy of manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal in 9×12 envelope
6. Print out and save another copy of manuscript, cover letter, resume, and/or proposal in a folder called “Submitted Manuscripts.”
7. Make sure you put your snail mail address, phone number, email address, website, and blog on your cover letter, proposal, query, and/or manuscript. If email submission, follow their guidelines about attachments. Some publishers do not accept attachments. Follow their guidelines.
8. Print out label for 9×12 inch envelope – use the mailing address in publisher’s guidelines. If it is an exclusive submission, mark it as such on the outside of the envelope. Also put that fact in your cover letter. “This is an exclusive submission for three months. On November 20, 2010 I am submitting it to other publishers.”
9. Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope, if the guidelines ask for one.
10. Put sufficient postage on the envelope.
11. If guidelines ask for a self-addressed stamped envelope, fix one and enclose it.
12. Leave the envelope with all the items inside over night.
Pub Sub 3rd Friday
13. Check your manuscript, cover letter, proposal, and resume Friday morning.
14. Put addressed, stamped envelope with your PUB SUB in a mailbox or email. Say a prayer. Ask God to bless this submission. Say to yourself: I allow myself to receive a positive response, such as, “Yes, I’d like to publish this manuscript.”
Each time you submit, you will be getting better and better. In case you’re not ready on the next third Friday, I created a raincheck with an encouraging letter filled with quotes to help you get your submission in the mail before a month elapses. You can also print the Raincheck without the letter. Go to my website to copy a certificate, badge, or raincheck: http://www.joanyedwards.com/pubsub3rdfri.htm
Surround yourself with other Pub Subbers. Great minds wander in the same plane.
I invite you to join the Pub Subbers Yahoo group to post successes, receive encouragement when you receive a no, ask for advice or help, etc. The group has automated reminders for the weekly steps to get your work ready for submission. Join by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to let me know.
See my other Pub Sub 3rd Fri posts for more reasons to submit your work often: http://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/?s=pubsub3rdfri.
Thank you for reading my blog. Leave a comment, please. I love reading your stories and opinions.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Flip Flap Floodle on Amazon.com
Copyright © 2011-2012 Joan Y. Edwards