Steps for Week 3: Pub Sub 3rd Fri. Pub Sub Day is the third Friday of the month. Any day is a great day to submit your manuscript.
It’s the targeted time to submit to an agent, editor, contest, critique group, or professional editor.
- Proof-check and revise your manuscript, query letter, cover letter, resume, bio, and/or proposal correct formatting (manuscript formatting, poetry-rhyme and meter)
- proper grammar and punctuation
2. Tuesday: Print everything out. Read it aloud. Proof-check for errors. Revise. Print it out again. Leave it sitting in your computer or in a folder for at least 48 hours.
3. Wednesday: Relax.
4. Thursday: Read all materials aloud. Make necessary changes to correct errors to manuscript, query letter, cover letter, resume, bio, or proposal. Fix a draft of the email submission and send it to yourself. Correct any errors.
5. Pub Sub Friday:
- Say a prayer. Have a winning attitude. Visualize the smiling person who receives this submission being pulled into your work. Run a video in your mind of the editor or agent talking excitedly to everyone in their office about it. Visualize yourself receiving a “Yes.” Get excited. It’s really coming. Your publication is coming, in spite of all the odds against it. In spite of any doubts that you or anyone else has, your publication is around the corner.
- If email submission, copy and paste corrected copies into the email. Check to make sure it kept the formatting of your original document. Make sure if they allow attachments and in what format they allow them. Make certain that the email address is correct. Now push the send button on the computer,
- If snail mail submission, address 9 x 12” envelope properly with your name and return address. Make sure you write the correct name and address for the publisher, editor, or contest name. If the guidelines ask it, enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE). Take a trip to the post office. Put correct postage on the envelope containing the manuscript, proposal, and cover letter or the query letter by itself. Put the envelope in the mailbox.
Each time you submit, you will be getting better and better. In case you’re not ready on the next third Friday, print out a rain check from my website with or without encouraging quotes to help you get your submission in the mail next month. Go to my website to copy a certificate, badge, or rain check: http://www.joanyedwards.com/pubsub3rdfri.htm
I invite you to join the Pub Subbers Yahoo group to post successes, receive encouragement when you receive a rejection, ask for advice or help, etc. The group has automated reminders for the weekly steps to get your work ready for submission.
Join by sending an email to me at email@example.com with your first and last name and why you’d like to be a Pub Subber. Then I’ll send you an invitation! Fun, fun, fun!
See my other Pub Sub 3rd Fri posts for more reasons to submit your work often: http://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/?s=pubsub3rdfri.
Thank you for reading my blog. Leave a comment, please. I love reading your stories and opinions.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Flip Flap Floodle on Amazon.com
Copyright © 2011-2014 Joan Y. Edwards