“18 Publishers Who Accept Unsolicited Manuscripts” by Joan Y. Edwards
It’s okay if in the past you didn’t submit your work, as many times as you desired. Forget about the past. Right now is a different time. Focus on this month. Check the guidelines for the publisher you’ve chosen. Look at the books they published. Do you like the illustrations on the covers? Are the books appealing to you?
If you’re like me, one of your finished works says, “Send me to a publisher. Send me. Send me. I’m ready!” about 3 times a day (See picture above). It’s waited anxiously for submission for days, months, or years. Now is the time to submit it. How can you turn down a sweet manuscript?
You’ve decided to do it now. Hurray! It’s important to follow the very latest guidelines on the publisher’s website. Does this publisher accept unsolicited manuscripts? Do they want paper or online submissions? Are there certain months, they don’t accept submissions? My finished manuscripts beg me constantly to submit them, so I made a list of all the publisher guidelines (current as of today’s post). I shared the results with you below:.
Baen Books is a science fiction and fantasy publisher. It accepts unsolicited manuscripts for all books and prefers electronic submissions through its manuscript-submission form. Baen is very accepting of new authors and has a large e-publishing department.
- DAW Books is the science fiction and fantasy imprint of Penguin Books. It accepts unsolicited manuscripts and prefers them in paper form. It will respond in about three months and will not consider simultaneous submissions.
- NCM Publishing publishes all genres of fiction, non-fiction, self-help and young adult fiction.
Adults and Children
- 4RV Publishing says no Picture Books until 2015. All other genres welcome.
- Chronicle Books were not recommended by Preditors and Editors. I think it wise to research the internet for complaints and decide for yourself before placing judgment.
- Dawn publishes “nature awareness” titles for adults and children. Our picture books are intended to encourage an appreciation for nature and a respectful participation in it. We are seeking to inspire children as well as educate them. An inspired child is a motivated
- Free Spirit Publishing publishes high-quality nonfiction books and learning materials for children, teens, parents, educators, counselors, and others who live and work with young people
- For children’s picture books, send full manuscript.
- For all others, send either full manuscript OR table of contents plus three sample chapters.
- Peachtree does not accept query letters where no manuscript is included.
- Peachtree currently publishes the following categories:
- Children’s fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books, middle readers, young adult books
- Education, parenting, self-help, and health books of interest to the general trade
- Peak City Publishing is a New Publisher
- TOR Books accepts unsolicited manuscripts on a variety of subjects. It is looking mostly for paranormal romance, mainstream and women’s fiction, science fiction or fantasy, chapter books for children and young adults and horror. Manuscripts should be mailed, no query letter required.
- Picture book manuscripts for ages 2-8.
- Novels and chapter books for ages 8-12.
- Young adult novels.
- Nonfiction for ages 3-12 and YA.
- Art samples showing pictures of children.
Boyds Mills is a publisher of children’s and young adult books that accepts unsolicited manuscripts. It is looking for fiction, nonfiction and artwork submissions. It prefers submissions by regular mail, rather that email, and says it will respond within three months.
- Charlesbridge offers free activities and downloadable items: http://www.charlesbridge.com/client/client_pages/downloadables.cfm
- Curious Fox does not publish picture books
- Flashlight accepts only picture books.
- Lee & Low Books publishes books for children and young adults with a multicultural theme. All manuscripts must be aimed at children of color, with an authentic voice. Submissions are accepted from new authors through regular mail; no email submissions are accepted. Little
- Little Tiger Press has three imprints for children of different ages
- Phoenix Yard Books publish picture books, fiction, poetry, non-fiction and illustration for children aged three to thirteen.
More resources below.
I hope this blog helps you. Feel free to share a link with your friends. Here’ s a shortlink to this blog post: http://wp.me/pFnvK-1Hz.
Looking for an agent,
rather than a publisher, check out “18 Literary Agents Who Are Looking for You:” http://joanyedwards.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/18-literary-agents-who-are-looking-for-you/
Join the 119 subscribers to my blog. To receive an email when I post my next article, click “Sign Me Up” in the left hand column. You’ll receive a link and password to download a free logo that says: Never Give Up Build It One Block at a Time. It’s my gift to you for subscribing to my blog. Thank you.
Author/Illustrator of Flip Flap Floodle,children call it a classic. Hear Flip’s Song.
Flip Flap Floodle, the happy little duck who Never Gives Up even in Mr. Fox’s belly
Barnes & Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/flip-flap-floodle?r=1
Coming in June 2014: Joan’s Elder Care Guide 4RV Publishing.
Good luck with all your writing endeavors and your life.
Accept yourself as you are. Celebrate you every day.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2013 Joan Y. Edwards
Your Manuscript and Query Letter
- Laura Backes. Posted on George Angus blog. “How to Wow Them with a Perfect Query Letter:” http://tumblemoose.com/childrens-book-publishers-how-to-wow-them-with-a-perfect-query-letter/
- Laura Backes. “Six Steps to Make Your Children’s Story Sparkle:” http://www.writing-world.com/children/backes1.shtml
- Mary Kole. Kid Lit.com. “The Early Reader and Chapter Book Market:” http://kidlit.com/2010/10/22/early-reader-chapter-book-market/
- Virginia Lloyd. “Australian Writers Think Twice before Diving into the Publishers Slush Pile:” http://virginialloyd.com/vblog/australian-writers-think-twice-before-diving-into-the-publishers-slush-pile/
Listing of Publishers: Includes two that readers recommended that I didn’t include in the above information.
- Karen Fox. “(Romance) Publishers:” http://www.karenafox.com/publishers.htm (worldwide)
- RTBookReviews. “Seven (Romance) Publishers Now Accepting Manuscripts:” http://www.rtbookreviews.com/rt-daily-blog/seven-publishers-now-accepting-manuscripts
Adults and Children
- Missouri.org. “Book Publishers in Missouri:” http://books.missouri.org/book/export/html/394
- Pauline Rowson. “(UK) Publishers Who Accept Unsolicited Submissions:” http://authorsonlineworkshop.blogspot.com/p/publishers-who-accept-unsolicited.html
- MuseItUp Publishing:
- Romance - everything from: romantic comedy, contemporary romance, fantasy romance, historical romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, western romance, sweet romance, sci-fi romance, time travel romance
- Paranormal – Fantasy - we love vampires, ghosts, witches, werewolves and shape shifters…and dragons
- Mystery – Suspense -Thriller - captivate us with the pacing of your novel. Hint: we love cozy mysteries
- Young Adult - we’re big fans of the Potter & Twilight series but seeking a unique voice for this target group
- MuseItYoung – this division is for our tween crossover chapter books for 10 – 14 year olds - NO PICTURE BOOKS
- Horror & Dark Fiction - scare the living daylights out of us with your settings, dialogue, and characters – not with blood and gore and missing human parts. Use the power of your writer’s voice to draw images that will leave readers sitting at the edge of their seats.
- Science Fiction - do you have a fantasy/romance/paranormal/etc. set in another planet? Fleshed out your otherly world? Then give us a shout.
- About.com. “Children’s Books: About Publishers and Getting Published:”http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/publishers/Publishers_and_Getting_Published.htm
- L. A. Speedwing. “Children’s Publisher Accepting Submissions (in UK):” http://laspeedwing.blogspot.com/2011/10/childrens-publishers-accepting.html
- Linda Williams. Webjunction.org. “Children’s Book Publishers:” http://www.webjunction.org/documents/connecticut/Children_039_s_Book_Publishers.html
- Lou Treleaven. “Children’s Publishers Accepting Unsolicited Manuscripts:”http://loutreleaven.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/childrens-publishers-accepting-unsolicited-manuscripts/ lots of publishers listed – UPDATED MARCH 2013.
- Saguaro Books is a publisher of middle grade and young adult fiction by first-time authors. They also accept unsolicited manuscripts. http://www.saguarobooks.com/query.php Please visit http://www.saguarobooks.com for more information.
Filed under: Marketing, Pub Sub 3rd Fri (Pub Subber), Writing Tagged: | #pubsub3rdfri, 4RV Publishing, Albert Whitman, Baen Books, Boyd's Mills, Curious Fox, DAW Books, Dawn Publications, Free Spirit Publishing, MuseItUp Publishing, NCM Publishing, Peachtree, Peak City Publishing, PubSubber, Saguaro Books, submit your manuscript, Tor Books